1840 1929 dating old photograph
The Royal Infirmary continued to cater for other infectious diseases and when Bryce’s new infirmary buildings were completed in 1879, the old Surgeons Hall was used to accommodate infectious cases.
She was the first woman general medical practitioner in Scotland and began practice at No. In September of that year Jex-Blake opened the Edinburgh Provident Dispensary for Women and children in Grove Street.
In 1885 it expanded to provide six beds and was renamed the Edinburgh Hospital and Dispensary for Women and Children.
When Dr Jex-Blake retired in 1899 and moved away from Edinburgh the managers of this small hospital acquired her home.
The central block contained the staff accommodation and Nightingale-style wards were in the wings – these were built over an open basement to allow air to circulate and prevent damp.
Between the wards and the central block were large open staircases, and the wards themselves were 54ft by 25ft and 16ft high, with a fireplace and a range of five windows on each side. The cost, including the layout of the grounds was a little over £7,000.
[For historic photographs of Bruntsfield Hospital, see also Lothian Health Services Archives flickr page] CHALMERS HOSPITAL, LAURISTON PLACE Chalmers Hospital opened in February 1864.